How to Apply for Your Original Driver License
Applicants applying for a driver license under AB 60 can now make an appointment online, on the DMV Now iPhone/ Android applications or by phone at 1-800-777-0133, to visit a DMV office.
Note: This appointment should be made as an “Original Driver License.” and is required for all original driver license applications. However, same day service is available at driver license processing centers (DLPC) without an appointment.
Customers applying for an original driver license will need to do the following:
• Study for the driver license knowledge test
• Make an appointment before visiting a DMV office (walk-ins are only accepted at our Driver License Processing Centers)
• Complete a driver license application form (DL 44) available at the DMV office
• Under AB 60, applicants will need to provide DMV with Proof of Identity and California Residency
Applicants must also do the following:
• Pay the application fee
• Pass a vision test, knowledge test, and if applicable, a road sign test
• Give a thumb print
• Have a picture taken
• Schedule a future appointment for the behind-the-wheel driving test, if applicable
Applicants under 18 applying for an original driver license will also need to submit proof of driver education completion. For more information about obtaining a new driver license, visit Driver License and Identification Card Information.